Monday, August 11, 2008

R.I.P. Bernie Mac & Issac Hayes

2 legends are gone in a week. Damn. The interesting thing that I found out was that I found out Issac Hayes died today on the computer, came back home to grub in the afternoon and flipped the TV on and the news had like a 5 minute expose on Bernie and then a 10 sec mention about Issac Hayes, saying that he was known for making the "Shaft" Theme. Let me tell you what Issac was known for:

Hot Buttered Soul

This album contained the tracks of his that probably got sampled the most. The sick thing about this was it just had 4 tracks. 4 guaranteed heaters. Who does that these days? EPs even have more tracks today. Walk on By is 12 minutes of sickness and it's probably the track that you've heard the most. It was sampled by the whole range of the game from Biggie to Pac, Foxy Brown to Faith, and even MF DOOM hit the track up. You heard One Woman on the Primo track for Group Home's biggest hit, Supa Star. Hyperbolic was also sampled heavy too. To me, one of the sickest things about this album is that the soul sounds so new but this album came out in 68. Way ahead of his time when this album dropped.
1. Walk On By
2. Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic
3. One Woman
4. By The Time I Get To Phoenix

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5P75P6TD

...To be Continued

1.Ike's Rap I
2. Our Day Will Come
3. The Look of Love
4. Medley: "Ike's Mood I"
5. Running our of Fools
http://rs67.rapidshare.com/files/136386884/To_Be_Continued__1969_.rar

This album can almost have the same description as hot buttered soul, where this is also a heavily sampled album, probably more, and it is probably a record that your hip hop DJ friend definitely has. I remember the only reason why I dug this record up was because it contained the infamous piano loop from MJB's "I Love You," which can be found on Ike's Mood. And I remember this was one of the first records I was playing at house parties as a kid that was an old school joint. Flip the record and you got the Look of Love, a Burt Bacharach favorite, and you'll also hear Jigga's "Can I Live" in there.

I'll get back to this, I need to look through my crates and tell you more what's in them. Point is, Issac Hayes better be getting more attention in the RIP department. Even if you are not too familar with Issac Hayes, I garuntee you have heard maybe 10 of tracks and not even know it. Still not convinced, fine, at least you heard him as "Chef" from Southpark. More to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment